Save the Date for Legislative Action Day 2015
* Please mark your calendar and plan to join us on Thursday, March 5, 2015 at the State House for our next Legislative Action Day. Pre-registration is now open. More details to be released in the months ahead. *
* Thank you for making Legislative Action Day 2014 a success! We are grateful that so many of you could join us on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at the State House!*
* Whether or not you were able to attend, please take a minute to complete this online action, to send a message to your State Representative and Senator in support of the Coalition's priorities.
Schedule for the Day:
Light breakfast (catered by Haley House Bakery Cafe) and registration/sign-in will begin at 9 a.m., with the program starting at 9:30 a.m.
The morning plenary will run from 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., with legislative visits from 12:30-3:00 p.m. Click here to see a detailed advance agenda.
After you meet with your legislators and/or their staff, please complete a legislative visit response form to let us know what you discussed and where your legislator stands on the issues. Download the legislative response form here.
- Overall FY'15 budget priorities
- Unaccompanied youth homelessness bill, House Bill 135: An Act providing housing and support services to unaccompanied homeless youth
- Unaccompanied youth homelessness budget campaign, expanding the work of the Massachusetts Special Commission on Unaccompanied Homeless Youth
- Emergency Assistance family shelter and services account, line items 7004-0101 and 7004-0103
- Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program (MRVP), line item 7004-9024 and the MRVP health impact assessment from the Boston University School of Public Health
- Transitional Aid to Families with Dependent Children (TAFDC) program grant increase, line item 4403-2000
- Bill of Rights for people experiencing homelessness, House Bill 3595: An Act Providing a Homeless Bill of Rights
- The intersections between sexual violence and homelessness, from our colleagues at the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center
Some of our confirmed speakers include:
- State Representative Jim O'Day, House Chair of the Joint Committee on Elder Affairs and Sponsor of Legislative Action Day
- State Senator Jamie Eldridge, Senate Chair of the Joint Committee on Housing
- State Representative Gloria Fox, Member of the House Committee on Ways and Means and the Joint Committee on Housing
- Dr. Eric Belsky, Managing Director, Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University. Eric will speak on the Center's new report, "America's Rental Housing". Read more about Dr. Belsky's work here.
- Dr. Megan Sandel, Principal Investigator, Children’s HealthWatch. Check out this recent blog post from Children's HealthWatch on "The Housing Vaccine for Homeless Families: It's Time to Do What Works".
- Liz Rogers, Executive Director, Massachusetts Interagency Council on Housing and Homelessness and Co-Chair of the Identification and Connection Working Group of the Massachusetts Special Commission on Unaccompanied Homeless Youth
Read our press release here.
Watch Channel 22 - Springfield's coverage here.
Also, please stay tuned for event photos, courtesy of Leah C-S Photography.
For information and details about last year's event, click here.